Sunday, October 1, 2023

On This Date In Nevard History

October 1, 1949 This morning after breakfast I walked up to Silver Birches and found them all well. Threshing and combining have been completed and Dad's wheat went about 700 bushels, oats about 400 and barley 120. 9 horses have been sold. Spark, Violet, Frank, Jubilee, Betty, Blaze, King, Beauty and May. We now only have Gleam, Embers and Castle. Arthur Lutz has Cloud and wants to buy him. I stayed at Silver Birches to dinner and then went back home. There is water in the big slough and also in our dugout. Donald has done quite a bit of disking but he had to take the new tractor down to Lipton yesterday to get the gears fixed. I left home about 2:20 pm and started back for the San. Arriving in Lipton I had supper with Jack Goff and waited a while in case Dad should turn up but he didn't. It was dark when I left Lipton and I walked most of the way back to the San but picked up a ride for a little way with Dielson who got his arm scalded last week in pig's mash. It rained a bit on the way back but not enough to wet me.

2 comments:

  1. Most interesting Ralph, quite enjoyed hearing of their history. I'm hoping you'll share about their musical journey. I recall they were a very talented family along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and sorry it took me over a month to reply. Blogger does not alert me when replies are posted and I have to come back and check. I'll have more to post soon.

      Delete

Leave a comment if you like.