Tuesday, April 2, 2013

November 28, 1943

Headlands P.O. Sask.
November 28, 1943
Dear Dick
Well its Sunday night again and as I am likely to go to Lipton again tomorrow I may as well send you another letter and keep you up to date on the latest local events. Before I forget it, Dad was suggesting that I should take a pair of your rubbers and felt socks to Lipton and leave them in Andy Gray's office for you to put on when you next come home and he wanted me to ask you if there was anything else you might want left there in the way of wearing apparel as it may be pretty cold when you come home.
This past week has been my town week as I made five trips with grain going every day but Friday. As the wheat quota has been raised again to 7 bushels per acre I may make four trips this coming week if the snow holds off. On Tuesday the 23rd I took a load of Dad's wheat to town. Andy Gray was filling a car with barley and he advised me to bring barley as he said he had plenty of room for wheat but only a limited amount of room for barley. So on Wednesday I took down a load of Dad's barley and had it stored making out the ticket to Osler-Hammond & Nanton as it was for the company's share of the crop on 25. Uncle Horrie went down too with a load of wheat. He overtook me on the way down. Donald was with him as he wanted to go to Lipton to get a sweater but he did not go all the way to town with his father as he got a ride in with a grain truck. On Thursday I took down another load of dad's barley but I could only deliver 100 bushels as the barley quota is 5 bushels per seeded acre and the rest of the load I sold for Dad.
Gleam was pretty sluggish on that trip as it was her fourth on successive days and the roads are hard and rough so I decided to let them have a rest and stayed home Friday doing chores .
Uncle Arthur went to Lipton with barley that day and brought home word that the quota has been raised from 5 to 7 bushels. He has arranged to have August Zielke take some of his wheat to Lipton by truck. On Saturday I went to Lipton with wheat and Uncle Horrie took a load of barley. Quite a lot of grain seemed to be going in to town owing to the quota having been raised. Fred Engel took a load down and broke the tire of his wagon at the big coulee so he had to borrow a wagon from Jack Mintzlar to get in with
Tehse, Red Schmidt's boy and Prairie Schmidt's boy are all hauling with wagons behind tractors. No less than 30 cars, trucks and tractors passed me on the way home so you see everybody are doing their best to save gas.
Today was dull but snow still holding off. Dad baked a cake. I went and cut holes in the slough on 13 for the animals. Fred Engel and Wm. Miller were trying to drive home a calf of Fred's that insists on being with our cattle but they didn't have any success then. Pat Neil came this evening just before dark and fixed our four little boars so that job is out of the way. They sure made a racket and the sow broke out of her pen and was rampaging around until we drove her back. I saw Bill Senft in town and he said that Arnold is alright again now. I never read your letter until I got home on Saturday night. Glad to hear that you are getting on ok.
The open weather is fine for the animals giving them a chance to clean up some of the food laying around. We haven't had any really cold weather yet although the wind is often a bit unpleasant when you're on the road. I paid up the taxes for Dad last week so they won't be able to turn us out of house and home for a while yet. Well I guess this is all for now Dick. Goodbye from your loving brother....
E.W. Nevard.

1 comment:

Leave a comment if you like.