Sunday, November 10, 2013

70 Years Ago On The Nevard Farm



Nov. 7, 1943

Dear Dick, It is now Sunday evening, more than eight days since you went away so I thought you would be waiting to hear from home and I am consequently writing this letter. Although no letter came from you in this week's mail. Probably it didn't have time.

How do you find it in B.C.? We hae a blanket of snow here now. About 4 or 5 inches so you wouldn't have done much more land work even if you had stayed home longer. After you left on the bus Saturday I went and did what business I had to do. I went to Andy Gray's and got the scoop shovel and he told me that he had room for wheat in the elevator. I did'nt see Mr. Brinkworth about the tiller as he went on the bus with you. We got home about 2:30 pm and after I had my dinner I went in the pasture and cut a load of wood. The books which came from the library were "Poland the Unexplained and Tramp's Sketches".

On the Sunday I let Gleam and Embers out for a while but got them in again at night planning to take wheat to town in the morning but on Monday morning it was snowing when I got up so I did not go. It didn't snow a lot and I went out in the pasture and cut two more loads of wood that day. Dad was making preparations to build a cement cupboard outside our bedroom. On Tuesday Nov. 2 I helped Dad mixing the cement for him and doing chores. Donald was here to supper and listened to Fibber McGee. On the 3rd Uncle H. and I each took a load of wheat to Lipton. I had Gleam with Embers. As I guess you know it was her first trip to town. Dad thought it would be a good idea if someone went down with me in case of having trouble at the elevator. Uncle H. was behind me until we got past the German Church , then he went ahead. He gained on me some but not a great lot. Gleam hesitated a bit going over the bridge at the big coulee but they were trotting and she got on the planks before she could check herself. When we got to the elevator Andy Gray was home to dinner. Uncle H. had his load on the scales when I came along and I drove up right behind him into the elevator. He was there but he didn't have to lead Gleam and she didn't give me any trouble on the scales either. On the way home I met 13 cars, 1 truck and 1 tractor and neither Gleam nor Embers showed any concern about them. There had been a sale at Henry Schmidt's that day which was partly the reason for so much traffic. When I got home it was snowing fast and everything was covered with a white blanket.

The next morning I had the job of driving the chickens into the new hen house. I did it too, all alone. There is just one pullet who is still living in the pigpen. We have 48 hens and chickens altogether and 11 turkeys. I got a load of gravel home and Dad made a new trough for the little pigs as they have outgrown their old one.

In the afternoon I cut another load of wood in the pasture. Uncle A's cow Diamond is the mother of twin calves. On Friday, the 5th it was snowing and blowing most of the day. I went and cut wood for a while but the snow was making my smock wet so I came home and cleaned out the old hen house. We got Pansy, Sunshine and calves in dinnertime. In the afternoon I got a jag of oat straw on sleighs. Quite a bit of the oat straw has been spoilt by the rain.

Yesterday I cut some more wood. I have 9 loads cut now. Roy brought the mail down in the morning. Today was a quiet Sunday at home. Dad went up to Silver Birches for a while after dinner. I think we are all about the same as usual. Don't see anybody much but able to keep busy and find life quite interesting. Weather tolerably mild but dull and snow not going very fast. Lighfoot and Roundhead send their best love and hope you find the mice in B.C. tender and toothsome. Hoping you are in good health I am your loving brother
 E.W. Nevard.
 

1 comment:

  1. People today don't think about horses bolting on the road. I see people in Amish country go whizzing by only inches from buggies and their horses at 60 miles an hour. The world is full of selfish idiots!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you like.